Chocolate cupcakes with a chocolate buttercream icing, sprinkles and a fondant Monsters Inc’s Mike Wazowski. The perfect treat for the kids this Halloween!
I have spent a great deal of time over the last 3 years watching Monsters Inc. My little boy loves it! Monsters University is regularly shown on my TV too. Needless to say, Mike Wazowski has been a big part of our home life over the recent years!
My boy’s birthday is coming up, and so is Halloween, so I thought now would be an excellent time to make some Mike Wazowski cupcakes!
Of all my boys favourite tv and movie characters, I think Mike Wazowski is probably one of the easiest to make. There are no particular awkward shapes to make, and he is one solid colour, so you don’t need to buy load of different icing colours which can be expensive – so that’s another bonus!
These Mike Wazowski cupcakes are a perfect addition to any kids get together, whether for birthdays or for Halloween. However, this year isn’t really a year for get-togethers, or certainly not here in the UK anyway at the moment. It’s important to keep things as fun and normal as possible for the little ones, so why not make these as a special treat for them this Halloween? Easter was a no show this year, let’s make sure Halloween is a killer celebration – no pun intended!
Here’s how I made these Mike Wazowski cupcakes
*This post contains affiliate links
What you’ll need to make these Mike Wazowski cupcakes
Mixer (or mixing bowl and electric whisk)
Wire Cooling Rack
Large Drop Flower Piping Nozzle
- 5oz Caster sugar
- 5oz Butter/Margarine
- 3 Eggs
- 5oz Self Raising flour
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- Green ready to roll icing
- Black ready to roll icing
- White ready to roll icing
- 18oz icing sugar
- 9oz butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Blue Sprinkles
To prepare, preheat the oven to 180 degrees and place 12 cupcake cases in a bun tin.
- Firstly, place the caster sugar and butter/margarine in the mixer and mix until light and fluffy.
- Secondly, add the eggs and mix until combined.
- Add the self raising flour and cocoa powder and mix until combined. If you’re using vanilla extract, you can also add that at this stage.
- Divide the mixture evenly between 12 cupcake cases in a bun tin, and bake on the middle shelf of a preheated oven at 180 degrees for around 20 minutes or until risen and springy to the touch. Don’t open the oven door until you think they look ready. If when you press on the top, they sink, carefully shut the oven door and bake for longer.
- Once the cupcakes are ready, remove them from the oven and place onto a wire cooling rack. Leave to cool completely before decorating.
- Place the icing sugar and butter in a mixer with the cocoa powder, and mix until combined.
- Place the buttercream icing in a piping bag with a large drop flower nozzle, and pipe a small swirl on the centre of the cupcake, where your fondant topper will sit.
- Sprinkle the sprinkles over the top of the chocolate buttercream swirl.
Mike Wazowski Fondant Topper
- Take around a 1.5 inch chunk of green ready to roll icing and roll into a ball in your hands.
- Once you have the round shape, roll slightly more on one side to make it ever so slightly pointier. This will form Mike Wazowski’s face/body.
- Next, Take around a pea sized amount of white ready to roll icing, roll into a ball and then press it down in your hand to flatten it. If you’ve rolled it first, it should flatten into a circular shape.
- Place the white icing circle onto the green icing face/body to form the eye.
- Take a smaller piece of green icing and do the same as you did with the white, this will form the iris. Place it on top of the white icing.
- Now take an even smaller piece of black icing and do the same as you did with the white and green, in order to form the pupil. Add it to the centre of the green.
- Roll an extra tiny piece of white icing in a ball to make the eye reflection and place it on the top of the pupil, slightly to one side as in the photograph.
- Outline the eye with a very thin roll of black icing as photographed and make 2 more thin rolls of green icing to put together to form the eyelid. See the photograph as a guide.
- Use a cake tool to mark the smile underneath the eye.
- Now Place the body/face on top of the icing swirl on the cupcake.
- Roll two pieces of green icing for the arms and another 2 for the legs.
- Add the arms and legs to the body on the cupcake, bending the legs at the knee.
- For the hands and feet, make 4 small balls of green icing, press them flat, and tuck in the sides until an oval shape is formed. Take your cake tool and cut two lines in one side in order to separate the fingers/toes and use your fingers to point them and smooth out the areas that you have just cut.
- Finally, press the hands and feet on to the arms and legs to complete your Mike Wazowski cupcake.
Thanks for reading, don’t forget to follow me on Instagram, Facebook,Twitter and Pinterest to keep up to date with my latest posts.
If you liked this Mike Wazowski Cupcake Tutorial, you might also like my Autumn Cupcakes recipe. Click here to read it.